Sunday 29 January 2012

Evaluation: Question 2

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

During filming, I made sure many pictures were taken during filming. This would allow us to have a selection of images to choose from that had a direct link to the video as the images were taken in the same location and our artist would be wearing the same outfit. At the beginning, I wanted an image of our artist on the beach on the cover. I had to change my original idea as most of those images were either not close enough or had no eye contact. Instead, I chose an image from the test shot. In this shot, our would be artist (as the shots were taken before we started filming) was wearing an outfit consisting of brown (similar to the music video outfit) which I felt matched our genre and my colour scheme.

Test shot image | Filming image 

The image I chose for my back panel is from the filming photos. I wanted a clearer shot of her whole outfit to be placed next to my track listing which also matched my background colour.



For the inside panel, I chose the image with 'CC' imprinted on the sand to accompany my song descriptions. I like this image because it relates to the setting and artist without either of them being in the picture.



As for my advertisement, I chose a pebble like background image as I felt it related well to the beach setting. I felt that a picture with visible texture would be better than a plain one of the same colour as that would be too plain.



I think that through my ancillary work, I have shown that our artist is a serious songwriter that is all about the meaning in the voice and lyrics rather than about the image. Our music video doesn't consist of much heavy edits as we wanted to keep it simplistic. The same goes for my ancillary design's.

Due to the points that I have made, I think that the public will recognise the relations between both the ancillary and video straight away. I think that my ancillary along with the music video can sell because like I have mentioned before, our artist is all about the music. Therefore no matter how plain the design ism she would still sell simply because she produces good music thus attracts our target market. However, if I was to promote our artist with the ancillary alone or of a pop genre (occasionally more about image), it would not be successful as my design is too plain for the genre.