Saturday 15 October 2011

Planning: three influential music videos

During our planning lessons, our teacher Rebecca showed us a video that uses some of the techniques that we want for our music video. After watching it, I felt the music video was very influential in terms of lyrical editing. As my group are aiming for a simple video with various editing techniques, written or animated lyrics will suit the genre and setting of our song. Although we may not have the equipment for that particular technique, I feel quite inspired by the two videos below that add lyrics through editing:

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall by Coldplay



Hey, Soul Sister by Train









I have come across this song before but it was only today that I realised the video could be quite influential towards our own video. I love how the video is set in what looks like a typically popular street in America with typical props to suit the setting (e.g. umbrella used when raining). As our video will be set in Brighton, all the props we need will be around us and possibly quite busy. The video also includes a carousel scene in which we are also planning to film at Brighton; although the singer has gone for the dreamy land theme, I like the way she walks around the carousel while it is moving and the background is blurred whenever there is a still shot of her (2:18-2:33) but the setting is still obvious. Here is the video below:

Forgive Me by Leona Lewis



At the moment, my group is unsure whether we should include split screens in the editing to make it look more interesting. I find the video below is a great example of a split screen video as both shots pans across the room in opposite directions then meet/merge together. Here is the video below:

Three Words by Cheryl Cole