Sunday 11 December 2011

Research: ancillary ideas




Above are photos of I have taken of albums and digipaks that I have at home. I was specifically looking for inspiration for my own digipak. Since planning my ancillary ideas, I have had vague ideas of the back panel and inside panel. I want to create a list of song details on the inside panel inside of just a photo alone. My teacher Tony liked the idea as it is conventional but I was the only person who wanted to create this in the class. I first got this idea from the booklet of my Lady Gaga: The Fame album. I am always curious about the writers and producers when it comes to songs that I like. I feel that artists who have a part in both those areas are more likely to have this song details within their album i.e. Lady Gaga, Dannii Minogue (shown above). Our artist Charlotte Cole, is a serious singer songwriter who is all about the voice rather than the image, therefore having descriptions/details of each song in my digipak will not only let her fans know more about her but also show that she is serious about her music.

From the photos, Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears' album are digipaks. Justin's consists of four panels whereas Britney's consists of six. Both have very different designs as both are of different genres. Justin's digipak is a simple design as it only contains four tracks of the same song: one is the original track, the three others are remixes. Britney goes for a more eye catching metallic design as her digipak is of all her greatest hits and therefore consisting of more information, pictures and bonus features for fans who buy it will feel closer to the artist, act as a collectable. I took pictures of the inside panels from both purely because I like the designs.

Most of the photos I took were of the back panels and song details within the album booklet. The majority of those I took consisted of a main picture of the artist(s) on the cover and a simple, plain design (one colour background related to the front and track listing) for the back panel. This is the design I am aiming for on my digipak. The only difference is that I will have my song details on the inside panel adjacent to the CD housing instead of a booket.
The other photos I have taken were chosen because I felt that they suited to the artist and genre. I may not use all the design ideas for my own but may use or adapt certain, specific ideas e.g. the graphics, the way the pictures are taken, formation of the back panel etc.
Finally, the photos I have used are of (in order of appearance):
  • Justin Timberlake: Sexyback - inside panel
  • Lady Gaga: The Fame - back panel and song details from booklet
  • The Wanted album - back panel and photos from booklet
  • Girls Aloud: Tangled Up - back panel and credits from booklet
  • Rihanna: Good Girl Gone Bad - song details from booklet
  • Britney Spears Greatest Hits: My Perogative - pictures from inside panel
  • Madonna: Celebration - front and back panel 
  • Dannii Minogue: The Hits & Beyond - back panel and song details from booklet
Note: Sorry about the dark shadows of me seen in some of the photos