Saturday 26 November 2011

Production: skills development

Although many of the equipment and programs needed for this year was also used last year, I had forgotten how to work & use many of the harder techniques. However, with help from teachers and my fellow group members, I was soon able to use them all over again. There were new programs that were introduced to us this year such as Voila and iShowU that were useful for the production. I felt that syncing our clips to the music was definitely the hardest as we were having some problems at the start. As music videos did not require a narrative, this allowed us to experiment with different techniques, editing and effects. Due to the extensive editing needed, I felt that the time we had to edit was not long enough even though it was similar to last year. Thrillers are mainly suspenseful from the use of music and special effects which I feel do not take long to complete. Music videos, on the other hand, required precise edits when used (a lot of the time) which took much longer to construct. Last year, my group actually finished our thriller sequence a few days before the deadline.

I felt that my great interest in music provided great help towards the planning. I did not know much about thrillers at the time but as my knowledge grew, so did my interest in it. I think that my skills have developed in terms of conventional editing.