Friday 25 November 2011

Production: skills development of planning

Although creating music videos and thrillers are completely different, the planning was similar in many ways: coming up with a clear idea of filming and editing which then has to be pitched to the class. However, during AS media, me and my group found planning our thriller opening particularly difficult as unlike music videos, thrillers had to have a narrative whether it was clear or not. The opening may not make sense (as the viewers questions would be answered throughout the rest of the film) but it had to be suspenseful. When we had finally came up with a concept, our peers and teachers were confused from the pitch we had presented. Teachers declared that although our ideas were good, not all of it would fit into two minutes of a thriller opening. They gave us several ideas to shorten our long one. Despite the fact that my group members were gutted that our own ideas were rejected, I felt confident in coming up with a new concept with all the help we were receiving. Throughout that week, we all tried our best to put forward our ideas which lead to a final decision on the narrative at the end of that week. Our final idea was last minute but I believe that my group did as well as any other group after production.

This year, I felt that my group was on time or even ahead of time on planning. We planned everything with each member of the group which gave us more time to edit. As music videos require a great deal of editing, we had just enough time to complete the production before the deadline. I feel that I have learnt from many of my mistakes that were made in AS year. Overall, I am happy with the production of both years that were equally shared out amongst each member of group (past and current). There is still a lot of work to be done (i.e. ancillary work) but I feel that a great deal of weight has been taken of my shoulders.